Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Conversations Keep Coming

Conversation from the ride home today:

LAUREN: When you were little, what state did you want to live in when you grew up?

ME: Well, I grew up in Pennsylvania, so I guess I always figured I’d live there.

LAUREN: But you didn’t.

ME: No, here I am in Wisconsin.

LAUREN: You lived in that place with the O-fries.

ME: That was in Pittsburgh. That was the other end of Pennsylvania. I started in Philadelphia, at one end of Pennsylvania, and then I moved to Pittsburgh at the other end. And then I moved to Iowa, and now I’m here in Wisconsin.

LAUREN: Iowa?!? What were you doing in Iowa?

ME: I went to graduate school there.

LAUREN: What’s graduate school?

ME: It’s college after you finish with college. When you graduate from college you get what they call a Bachelor’s Degree. And you can go back again to get a Master’s Degree, and if you still want more than you can get a Doctorate. Those last two are graduate school.

LAUREN: What about high school?

ME: That comes before. There’s elementary school, middle school, high school, college, and graduate school.

LAUREN: And then you can have a LIFE!!!

Sometimes it’s like living in your own cartoon.

5 comments:

Jack Lynch said...

Promise you'll let me know when that "life" thing is supposed to start. I wouldn't want to miss it.

David said...

It was all I could do not to correct her. Let her dream a while, I say.

Lori said...

I gather you aren't going to mention student loans and their life sucking ability.

David said...

Oh, no. We don't mention those in polite company. At least not without a pitcher of mojitos around.

Beatrice Desper said...

I see you didn't explain what the abbreviations meant. Wouldn't want to confuse the issue with foul language....
When I mentioned the possbility of getting a PhD so I could have a hood, my major advisor said that renting one would be much simpler.