Tuesday, July 21, 2009

And Then There Were Two Again

We are back up to our full complement of hamsters.

Last night as I was drifting in and out of sleep, trying to stay in but continually falling back out as is my wont these days, I heard Mithra meowing at us in a stranger-than-usual sort of way. I spent a few minutes lazily trying to incorporate this into whatever dream I was having at the time, but it never quite worked out.

And then it hit me: Cat. Meowing. Hunter. Prey. Oh, sweet dancing monkeys on a stick, that can only mean Hamster.

This math made more sense at midnight, really it did.

Plus, it was correct.

I got up and flipped on the hall light and Mithra took off downstairs. Oh no you don't, I thought, and I pelted down the stairs after her. Sure enough, at the bottom of the steps she dropped her mouthful of snack and waited for me.

Good evening, Vee! Or Hammy! Or whoever!

I scooped up the hamster - rather bedraggled after a week hiding out like some Allied flier behind Nazi lines - and deposited it in her cage, much to the annoyance of the other hamster who had gotten rather used to having the place Just So and was not looking forward to a roommate mucking up the place again.

Well, deal with it, rodent - your partner is back.

They seem to have made up, though. All day long they have groomed and played and now you really can't tell which one is which anymore since all the Bedraggle is gone.

Welcome back, Vee! Or Hammy! Or whoever!

1 comment:

KimK said...

You know it was Vee who got lost.~Tabby