Friday, February 6, 2009

Club Dues

The Unemployment Club should have met today, but I had to cancel.

On the one hand, this is probably a good thing. It means that I am busy - and great googly moogly am I busy. I now have three jobs, all of which I am sure I will enjoy once I get through the initial "What on earth am I supposed to be doing now?" phase. Collectively they don't pay half of what my last full-time job paid, but they do pay and that is important for surviving the wreckage of the Bush years. Fortunately Kim is securely employed. It's going to be a long, hard year for a lot of people and I count myself lucky to have the employment I have.

Especially since the jobs do look like they will be fun eventually, and at least one of them already is.

On the other hand, having a couple of friends to hang out with and complain about the general state of the world was a wonderful thing. We only met a couple of times - it's astonishing how busy unemployment can be - but there would be food, there would be drinks, and there would be conversation. Those are precious things.

I'm hoping that once things calm down again we can start the club up once more - or, since one of the goals of the club was to go extinct because everyone got jobs again, to refashion it as a slightly different entity of employed people eating, drinking and solving the world's problems (hey Obama! We got your answers right here!).

It's my turn to host, anyway.

No comments: