Tuesday, April 19, 2011

News and Updates

With midterm season in full swing and the political news getting more soul-deadening by the minute here in the Badger State, I haven’t had much time or inclination to be blogging. But life goes on, as it always does:

1. I continue to read escapist literature in the fond hopes that it will perform as advertised, but so far to no avail. I am still here.

2. It occurs to me that with the unilateral pay cuts demanded of me by Governor Teabagger, he is effectively asking me to tithe him. Isn’t that a bit on the blasphemous side, even for a Teabagger?

3. Three times this week it has snowed here in Baja Canada, despite the fact that it is clearly April. Today, in fact, the visibility at Not Quite So Far Away Campus was effectively a quarter mile through the swirling flakes and the ditches by the interstate were littered with people who forgot to drive with the weather instead of the calendar. At some point I expect a switch to be flipped and the temperatures to shoot up into the 90s, where they will stay until late September. We had our Spring already. It was a Friday.

4. The one thing about this time of year that really works in my favor is that it is hockey playoff season, when the NHL actually finds its way onto the television screen. Except for the Flyers, who seem to be the invisible team when it comes to this sort of thing. I did manage to see almost five minutes of their last game, though, and they won that one, so perhaps they’ll broadcast the next one too.

5. I have been grading exams for much of the last week. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Teacher drinks.

No comments: