Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Further News and Updates

1. Our Swedish friends have left and it’s just the three of us around here now. At some point there will be bloggage about all the lovely times we had together, but that point is not today. It’s good to have company, and it’s good to have quiet. It’s all good, really. Now it is our turn to visit Sweden! Next year, perhaps.

2. The problem with having a “classic car” is that they don’t make parts for it anymore. On the plus side, though, the old Saturn wagon does have three functional window controls.

3. A long term project may be coming to an end soon, and when that happens there will also be bloggage. So many of my recent posts have just been “Coming Soon!” posts, but that’s about the limit of my brain these days.

4. Still far too infuriated to comment substantively on the right-wing extremism of the Supreme Court’s decision to reduce American women to the status of livestock. I’ll get to that too, I suppose. In the meantime, a simple and heartfelt “fuck you” to all those who think the Dobbs decision has any moral standing whatsoever.

5. I made it through Independence Day without any trolls finding my viral meme from a while back and defecating all over my social media feed, which was a pleasant change from recent years. Going viral is completely overrated. So it goes. Every so often I do a Google search to see where it has spread and mostly I find it in the usual places – Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, and so on. Once in a while, though, I get surprised. This year’s discovery was finding that it had been turned into a closing prayer by a minister and posted on his church’s website. I have to confess I did not see that coming.

6. I now have a new office down at Home Campus! My old boss got headhunted by another university and left in March, much to our great dismay, which left her office vacant. This month was the first time I had the breathing space to consider my options and then make the switch. My new office looks exactly like my old office (to the point where one of my students actually complained about my lack of decorating imagination – it’s like she doesn’t know me at all) except that unlike the old one it has windows. Lots of them! Kind of a drag in the summer when the sun is hot, but I’m looking forward to the autumn and winter when the turkeys roam around campus and the snow starts to fall.

7. I was in my old office for six and a half years. It took me all of an hour to move everything. What can I say? I was an adjunct instructor for a quarter century before I became an advisor, and adjunct jobs are never guaranteed for more than seventeen weeks. I’m always ready to throw my stuff in a medium-sized box and go home.

8. I have a summer project, for which I am to be paid upon completion. I do not wish to do this summer project. I’m even okay with not being paid. But there are long-term consequences for not doing this project that I’d prefer to avoid, notably not getting paid for additional work that is dependent on this project, into the next half decade. So I need to do this summer project.



 
 
9. The UEFA Women’s Cup started last week and I’m having fun catching up on the games that my various streaming subscriptions allow me to see. So far none of the games I’ve seen have been close but they have been interesting. I’m very grateful for this event, since we are now in the Dead Zone of sports as far as I am concerned – the Stanley Cup has been awarded and most soccer leagues won’t start up again until the fall. Every once in a while I will check the baseball standings to see how the Phillies are doing (so far, NOT in last place!) but that’s about as far as that goes.

10. Last week would have been my grandfather’s 110th birthday. This week would have been my mother’s 82nd. The ghosts accumulate as you get older.

No comments: