Wednesday, October 27, 2021

News and Updates

1. It rained most of the weekend here – a couple of grey, rainy autumn days with blustery winds and falling temperatures that are about as good as weather gets, I think. I’m going to retire to Scotland someday.

2. The rain did keep me from unloading the minivan for a few days after we’d gotten back, though once it cleared up the unloading proceeded apace. I can’t say the delay bothered me overmuch. Sometimes you just have to let things sit for a bit, and sometimes you’re one of the things that just has to sit.

3. One of the bummers of this past week is that we were on the road heading home when Voces8 were performing at a venue that was, at least in theory, close enough to my house that I could have gone to see them. They’re a British group and there’s been a pandemic (really – pay no attention to the plague rats who insist otherwise) so it’s been a long time since they’ve been anywhere near me. Oh well. If you’re out there listening, #Voces8, I hope you are going to be near Wisconsin again sometime soon. I’ll be there.

4. I suppose it is fitting that this is the week that my pizzelle iron chose to give up the ghost. You can’t really fix these things since they have basically no moving parts and no access to anything on the interior without scrapping it entirely, so now I am without a pizzelle iron for the first time since 1990 when my grandparents gave it to me for my birthday. I’m not sure that they ever really understood why I wanted one, as they both regarded cooking as women’s work, but I have always loved it and I will miss it. The company that made it no longer exists thanks to predatory capitalism, so I will need to find a different one.

5. Although having spent the last few days researching pizzelle irons, I am now sorely tempted to try once again to fix my old one. Maybe I can get it to work again. Or maybe I can find someone else who knows how to repair simple electrical appliances (seriously – it’s a heating element with a handle; the main problem is getting access to things). In either event, I do need to fill this hole in my possessions so I can go back to making the house smell like anise.

6. A lot of twenty-first century parenting is just being unreasonably pleased when one of your children likes a social media post that you made.

7. One of the nice things about going back to face to face classes and advising is that I am finally meeting in person students I’ve been talking with for a year now on Zoom. Some of them are surprisingly tall.

8. I’m doing my best to avoid politics these days as all it does is make me angry, but sometimes you just have to wonder what the hell people are thinking. The more we find out the worse the treasonous insurrection of January 6 becomes, and still there are people who see nothing wrong with it. Watching supporters of the disgraced twice-impeached former president deny the undeniable and defend the indefensible would be comical if it weren’t so utterly grotesque.

9. Twice this month I have spent the wee hours of the night chasing down a bat that was doing laps around my bedroom and then, having caught up to it, depositing it outside. At least I think I deposited it outside the first time. Given how quickly the problem repeated itself, I may just have lost it somewhere in the house where it hid and then reappeared a few nights later. But the second time I definitely saw it fly off into the night, chittering angrily the whole way. I’m hoping it goes somewhere with its little bat buddies and leaves me alone from now on. Seriously – after the last year and a half I’m pretty sure I don’t want to be dealing with bats.

10. How tired do you have to be to be sitting at work, eating your lunch, and suddenly realize, “Oh yeah, a few hours ago I was chasing a bat around my bedroom,” having completely forgotten about it in the interim? This tired. You have to be this tired to do that.

7 comments:

LucyInDisguise said...

1. After 272 days with no measurable precipitation, we managed to get 1.5” of water over the weekend. Most of it Sunday night into Monday.

2. When you get thru that just sitting bit, pass that over this way for a while. I promise not to wear it out before returning it to you.

4. Recently purchased for < $50:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1TLW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Also, research complete. See above. You’re welcome.

7. Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, you have been shrinking during the pandamnayear?

8. When it is stacked this deep, avoidance is pretty much just a pipe dream. Grotesque seems a grossly inadequate adjective. Can’t for the life of me think of a better one, but, yeah, inadequate seems like a near-perfect assessment.

10. How tired do you have to be to be sitting in the truck trying to remember what the hell it was that you just finished doing 3 minutes ago? Just finished a 16.5 hour day - 41.5 hours so far this week. And I took Monday off. Playing catch-up makes a day off seem almost worthless. Tomorrow’s another day … so is Saturday. No rest for the weary.

Welcome back.

Lucy

David said...

1) It's been raining steadily today too, after a few days of blue fall skies. I am very happy with this weather. It's cool enough for tea, and grey enough for me.

2) You can have it for a while - the world caved in again (just normal life this time) and I suspect it will be a long time until I get to use it again.

4. I saw that one, but it makes mini-pizzelles (3.25") and I prefer the full size (5"). I'm still researching. I'm glad you've got it, though! You'll have to let me know how they turn out. :) I prefer the anise flavor, but vanilla or chocolate work as well.

7. I took that into account already. ;)

10. Lawsey, that's too much. I hope you can carve out some time.

On that note, this has been my go-to song for the last two weeks.

Good to be back. Thanks.

LucyInDisguise said...

So, it's 1:43 AM and I'm watching that music video ...

I recognize some of those roads. That's basically what I drive on every day - straight two-lane blacktop stretching off to the horizon where the blacktop ends. Except that I continue on for another 30 to 50 miles on dirt roads to get to one of the mines where I perform my labors. Perform may not be the best choice of adjectives here.

Rough Road Sign = NDOT's answer to actually expending our tax money to physically repair the road.

Time to fire up the truck and get back to it ...

Lucy

David said...

I remember driving around Connecticut back in the 1980s and coming to a sign that said "Road Closed."

It was a fairly big road - four lanes, divided. The road was open. There was no discernible difference between the situation prior to the sign and the one after. The road was shit on both sides.

Apparently that's what Connecticut does to disclaim liability when they don't feel like fixing anything.

Sigh.

Take care of yourself, Lucy - that's a rough hour to be getting back to anything other than sleep.

LucyInDisguise said...

's no big thing. My day normally starts at 0:dark:30 (That would translate to 1:30 AM in your world)(Actually, that's not completely accurate: the alarm goes off and my feet hit the floor at 12:40 AM - I clock in and start working at 1:30 AM), Monday thru Saturday (I don't usually drive on Saturdays - That's when I get to take care of all of the administrative shit that goes along with this gig). Bright side? I'm normally thru between 13:30 and 15:30 and get to spend some time sparring with the resident Viking. Or taking a nap (like I'm gonna do in just a few minutes ...) Sundays & Holidays I get to sleep in until much later in the morning - Oh, say, 3:00 AM?

Yesterday was a little unusual - the alarm went off at 11:40 PM so I could get a jump on what is normally a 15 hour-long run. This one went a little long. Thankfully, they're closing down that particular mine until (?) or, hopefully, foreverafter. Or, at the very least, until after I retire in 725 days. (Give me a few minutes and I can work out hours, minutes, and seconds for ya.)

😳

Lucy

LucyInDisguise said...

Damn.

Jinxed myself.

You know, the problem with using a qualifier like "normally" is that the only constant in this business is change. (As in, everything is constantly changing ...)

Just found out I'm going to be in the truck tomorrow, too. One of the mines just had a fuel spill.

They don't let you requisition sighs large enough to fit in my world.

Lucy

David said...

That's because a sigh that big would collapse the entire mine and half the surrounding area. Sorry to hear they're yanking you back into the truck when you thought you'd done your bit this week.

That kind of schedule would just kill me - 12:40am is a reasonable bedtime for me, not a wakeup call.

Get the rest you can, I suppose! And yeah, I'd imagine that you could convert 725 days into minutes and second pretty quickly at this point.