Friday, December 28, 2012

Downhill All the Way

It was a sledding sort of day, here in Our Little Town. 

We worried about whether such a day would ever come again after the sad disappointment of last winter.  But there’s eight inches of icy snow on the ground now, Christmas and other family obligations are done, and Mel Allen Hill (“Oooh!  That’s gotta hurt!”) rises majestically out of the park by the river to tempt us with speedy fun.

Plus, the girls are old enough now that I don’t have to go down the hill with them anymore – they do that on their own, especially when they bring a friend with them and then meet another friend there.  This is good, as I am not really recuperated enough from my surgical adventure to go bouncing down an icy hill quite yet. 

For my part, I was more than happy to hang out at the bottom of the hill, chat with the father of the last friend mentioned, and test out my big Christmas present – a telephoto lens for my camera – while Tabitha and Lauren spent a cheerful afternoon zooming down the hill in various combinations with each other and their friends and then trudging back up to repeat the cycle.

Plus it turns out that the lens works pretty well, too.







There was much fun to be had out there on Mel Allen Hill, though eventually it got cold enough to call in the troops and head for home and cocoa.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Beatrice Desper said...

Oh, I can relate to the bouncing part. Every summer Shadia wants me to go down the water slide with her but two years ago my back said "no more." Me too, I watch from the bottom.