Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Two Decades

Twenty years ago today I was at our local hospital.  It was Y2K – remember that?  Weren’t we supposed to see the end of the world that night?  Who knows – maybe we did and we’re living in a post-apocalyptic ruin, which would explain a lot about American politics but does seem to miss the fact that so many lovely things have happened since then.

I became a parent that night, for one.

It’s been an eventful two decades since then, full of milestones and love, crises and achievements, events and quiet moments.  There were times when I wondered how I would get through them, and times when I turned around and it felt like a year had passed in the blink of an eye. 

Today Oliver turns 20.  He’s a college student now, someone who has traveled abroad on his own and is forging a life that is all his.  He is no longer a teenager, but I am still a parent.

Happy birthday, Ollie.  I’m proud of you.


No comments: