Saturday, November 25, 2023

Happy Anniversary

 
It turned out to be a good thing that we had our Small Family Thanksgiving on Thursday because we didn’t actually make it to the Big Family Thanksgiving scheduled for today. The flu seems to have settled into our house and we have been taking it easy most of the day. We will have to see everyone on a future holiday.

Of course, we were scheduled to bring most of the desserts, so this may have caused problems for those looking for a sweet to end the day. Sigh.

As the Least Sickly Among Us it fell to me to take Max back to Main Campus University so he could get some studying in before he had to go to work tonight. Arden left Thursday night. So it was just the four of us for dinner, and we had a Thanksgiving Soup composed mostly of leftovers that felt pretty good on a cold night in a house full of sniffling people.

It also meant that Kim and I got to celebrate our anniversary on our anniversary and with our children, which is a lovely thing and one that gets harder to do as the years go by and everyone heads off into their own lives.

It’s been 28 years now. It goes by fast.

We’ve packed a lot into those years, really. Two wonderful kids. A handful of cats. A random assortment of chickens, turkeys, rabbits, and pigs. A house of our own. Students, advisees, colleagues. A large extended family that we actually enjoy spending time with, some of whom are gone now and some of whom weren’t here when this journey started. Concerts. A widening series of travels. Graduations, birthdays, and celebrations that didn’t really have much of a cause but just seemed like a good idea at the time. A lot of good food.

And through it all there is us, together.

It has been a good ride. Here’s to more of it.





4 comments:

LucyInDisguise said...

First And Foremost:

Please allow me to extend a heartfelt (if somewhat belated) CONGRATULATIONS! to you & Kim from myself and my wife … 28 years ain’t nothing to sneeze at - especially when you take into account the average length of a marriage in this country is around 8.2 years. Wishing you many more.

I’ve been up to my hips in paperwork for the last couple or three weeks trying to get our Medicare, prescription coverage, and Medigap policies in place. It shouldn’t be this difficult - especially since I’ve been working on this since June. Kinda got caught up on my reading yesterday and this morning and I’ve finally got some time to respond. Forgive me, please, if I combine a bunch of comments into one.

Put me down on the list of those who followed and enjoyed your BFT23 posts. Suggestion for the future? More captions for photos. Can’t always be certain what it is I’m looking at or should be focusing on …

Glad to hear that you’re keeping busy. (Busy = $, yes?)

Finger Rot Disease sounds … interesting. Glad you don’t have it. Yet.

I found out about 8 years ago that my wife has never seen The Nutcracker, and I’ve been unable to secure tickets to take her to see it in person, so this year I purchased a DVD of a performance by the Russian Ballet which should be here later this week. I’m trying to educate her about this before she sees it. This should be entertaining (for vaguely unspecified values of entertainment).

Our eldest daughter and her family came out from the Salty Town to join us for the Thanksgiving holiday. With both daughters, spouses, grandkids, and great-grandkids, we had 23 mouths to stuff on Thanksgiving, One 24lb. bird and one 15lb. bird. Surprising little leftovers.

Joy was present in our home once again. Wishing you, your family, and all of the folks reading this the same for the upcoming holiday season.

Lucy

David said...

Hi Lucy -

Sorry for not seeing this sooner! I'm in the process of migrating to a new computer and things have been, shall we say, technological around here, which is a nice way of saying FUBAR. But I'm slowly getting back to where I was before I tried to improve things.

Thank you for the congratulations! I'm not sure why she puts up with me, but I'm not going to question it. :)

I think they make those policies difficult for a reason - it's like rebates from the hardware store. The offer is there, but the process is so tedious, complicated, and subject to random review from disinterested parties that they just hope people get discouraged and stop trying. It works for me regarding the rebates, anyway. I wish you well.

I'm glad you enjoyed the BFT posts! I can't promise more captions, but I'll try. There were so many photos for those posts, and Blogger does not make it easy to post them at all (they switched the defaults a couple of years ago and now if I want to get the former defaults, which I liked, I have to do it all manually and if I screw up anything as part of that process everything reverts to the new defaults and I have to start over).

Busy is definitely $. Not $$$ or even $$, as I am an academic and contrary to what the right-wing politicians say nobody gets rich doing this, but enough.

The Nutcracker is one of those classics - I hope she enjoys it! We brought the kids to see it when it came to Our Little Town about 20 years ago. Lauren was maybe 2 and Oliver was about 5. My main memories of that were both comments from Oliver. 1) "Why are they playing all the songs from the Barbie movies?" and 2) after a dance solo that came in two parts so the audience ended up clapping in the middle, "I'm done clapping now. Why is she still dancing?" Good question, kid.

I'm glad you had a good holiday!

Joy and good food for the next one as well!

Beatrice Desper said...

Now I know what FUBAR means. The things I learn.
BTW, it is also a restaurant in the Latine quarter of Paris!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! 28 years is something. We're following you at 26.

David said...

Well congratulations to you! Here we all are, blowing by the quarter-century mark like it's standing still. :)

FUBAR is an old acronym - I think it goes back to at least WWII. It's been kind of sanitized since then (I vividly remember a public relations promotion at a nearby mall years ago that encouraged kids to come by and see "FUBAR the Robot!" I'm not sure they understood the actual meaning of the name. Or maybe they did and thought "why not?"

Not sure how you get a restaurant name out of it, but now I want to try the place.