Thursday, November 25, 2021

Happy Thanksgiving

I’ve always liked the idea of a holiday set aside for us to be thankful for what we have in this world – one that doesn’t ask us to get more, but simply to acknowledge what already is and be glad of it. The world owes us nothing, after all. It was here first, and it will be here long after we are gone. It’s up to us to be better than that.

We are all four together now, with Oliver home from Small Liberal Arts College and Lauren back from Main Campus University. Those moments don’t come as often as they used to these days and I’m glad for them. Oliver and I have been watching hockey games together – the Flyers put up a valiant effort over the last two games with only a point to show for it all, but we did spot Oliver’s friend Connor in the stands at the Avalanche game yesterday. Lauren got home last night and, true to form, immediately headed out again for dinner with the Squad, who are all back on break and together for the first time in months. Things are back to what they were, however briefly – a small semblance of normal in a world that has been anything but for a long time – and I’m thankful for it.

We’re heading up to my in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner today, as has become our tradition the last few years. There will be feasting and conversation and noise and kids and that’s what these holidays are for in some ways. It will be a grand time.

I spent last night making pizzelles to bring with us when we go, as “desserts” is our brief for today’s meal. In between dinner and hanging out Lauren and Hannah stopped by and grabbed a few to share with the Squad, which made me happy – the whole point of these things is to share them. Kim made ricotta pie from my grandmother’s recipe. There are two Costco-sized pumpkin pies chilling in the back of the minivan, and before we head out there will be two more apple-cranberry pies and a pile of cheddar biscuits. Anyone who goes hungry has nobody to blame but themselves.

It will be a strange holiday in that it is the first “family gathering” sort of holiday since my mom passed away. I will miss her today, as every day, but I will be thankful for the time I got to have with her. I’ll call the various other branches of the family where they are gathering and we’ll be good that way.

I have watched the WKRP in Cincinnati “turkey drop” clip and listened to Alice’s Restaurant – two repeating motifs of the holiday that exist to remind us that joyful absurdity is a lovely thing.

I am employed. I am surrounded by books and tea. I have good friends and a wonderful family that extends out in many directions on all sides.

I am happily married to Kim. I’m not sure how I managed to convince her to spend a life with me, but I’m glad for it.

Life is good.

Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

LucyInDisguise said...

Life is, indeed, good.

Smiles all around.

Lucy

David said...

Indeed. I hope your holiday was similarly rewarding. :)

LucyInDisguise said...

Actually, now that we've (more or less) put this turkey of a holiday to bed, I am genuinely* pleased to be able to report the following:

Two birds successfully cooked, (1) 18.5 lbs & (1) 23.5 lbs.

Sufficient food for everyone to stuff themselves, & adequate left-overs to get us through today.

Eldest daughter & her family came out for the weekend. My Viking & I paid for their hotel as a portion of their christmass gift.

Zero, no, nada, zilch, and ultimately an absoulute absence of FAMILY DRAMA.**

AND, just to add some additional PIE to the holiday our 2022 registration & sticker for our Jeep just showed up in the mail. (gonna be legal for another whole year!)***

Lucy

* Thrilled. Exhilarated. Elated. (There's actually a whole list of similar words in my thesaurus that would apply equally.)

** First time in six years. (It's a sister thing. They've been warned in the past - however - I suspect that this year, some random Viking actually threatened them. Don't know fur sure, and I damn sure ain't gonna ask!) It has made this Thanksgiving one that I have an actual thing to be thankful for. WIN!

*** The last time they mailed it, they did so 4 months after it
had expired (and it arrived a week after my wife got a warning from an understanding NHP officer). Then, for six years running I've had to take my online receipt down to the DMV the day before our registration expired to get the renewal sticker & card. Since it expires on 12/22 every year, that is an unbelievably incredible PITA. I'm going to choose to take this one positive data point at the end of 7 negative data points and declare this as a "trend". Not exactly the smartest thing I've ever done ... but I've alway been foolish in that way.

David said...

Well that sounds like a definite winner of a Thanksgiving to me! A great deal of turkey and no actual drama? Win all around, I say.

Much as Reagan annoyed me and much as my friends hated the line at the time, I have found that sometimes there is wisdom in the adage, "Peace through superior firepower." Three cheers for the random Viking enforcing calm during the holiday. :)

WTF with the DMV? I'm glad they got it right this year. Maybe this will be the start of a new tradition? One can hope. We have a DMV office here in Our Little Town, and I have to say I've never had a bad experience there. But sometimes I wonder if I am just an outlier that way. Take the good trends where you can find them, I suppose.

We had a lovely time at my brother- and sister-in-law's house for Thanksgiving. There was indeed noise, food, and kids, and it worked out quite well. We left most of the leftovers up there with them, but that's okay by me. It was good, and I very much needed the break after this semester.

I will resume my usually scheduled grading shortly...