1. We’re knee deep in July and I keep thinking that my life will calm down soon but somehow new things keep happening. This is not a problem really, as most of those things are good things, but I’m feeling rather tired these days. So much of being an adult is just thinking “If I can only make it until [DATE] I’ll get some time to catch up,” and then it’s suddenly [DATE PLUS SEVERAL DAYS] and you’re just wondering how you got there and whether half the stuff you had planned to catch up on should just get tossed as dead weight. I suppose that’s one way to trim a to-do list.
2. You know you’re in deep when you sit down during a quiet moment at work and idly put together a list of things to work on for when you get home and it ends up being 22 items long. So far I’ve checked off one item. But that’s progress, isn’t it?
3. So the World Cup final will not be particularly interesting after all. I had a 3 in 4 chance of getting a game with a team that I was cheering for once the semifinals were set – Belgium v France and England v. Croatia meant that my final game options were Belgium v England (double yay!), Belgium v. Croatia (yay!), France v. England (yay!) or France v. Croatia (say what now?). And naturally I am left with Option 4. Oh well.
4. Yes I have a friend in France too, but I find that I am having a hard time caring whether France wins or not. I suspect this is because they were one of the favorites and they won it all not that long ago. On the other hand, they do play an entertaining game. Of course so does Croatia and they’ve never won. I’m sure I’ll end up watching the game anyway (and definitely the third-place game between Belgium and England). There will be a long gap after that before the Premier League picks up again and I need to store up my soccer viewing time, though the US men’s and women’s leagues are in session this summer so that will help.
5. It’s marching band season and Lauren is heading to field shows and parades. Kim and I went to the home show that they did a couple of weeks ago, and that was a good time. It was far too hot for the heavy uniforms that they wear, but they did a nice job of playing through it. I was impressed, at any rate. Go Lauren!
6. It’s always such a lovely thing when friends come to visit, especially if they’re people you don’t get to see very often and wish you could. Mike and Krista drove out from Pittsburgh for a few days and it was so good to see them and not nearly long enough. There are people in this world that you only see at long intervals and when you do it’s like no time has passed at all. Hang onto those people, folks.
7. In addition to her marching band, Lauren is also keeping up the family tradition of running spotlight for the school plays. Local Businessman High School is running its summer musical this week and next and Lauren signed up for that gig. So Lauren and I spent some time on Monday morning down at Home Campus walking through the mechanics of running a spotlight and practicing for a bit, and now she’s at rehearsal putting all that to good use. I am a proud theater dad!
8. I need to clean my office. I have space now to clean my office. I have time to clean my office. The office definitely, positively, absolutely needs to be cleaned. I am not cleaning my office at the moment. This is likely not going to end well.
9. My summer class is going well, however, even if I do have a pile of papers to grade now. I miss being in a classroom when I don’t get to teach and this is one of my favorite classes, so I guess I’ll just grade the papers and be done with it.
10. This summer has been far too hot for far too long. Seriously – it’s been heat-wave hot for most of the last four weeks, and as someone who thinks civilized weather starts halfway through the autumn and runs just a few weeks into spring, I’m pretty much done with it. I could really go for some global cooling right about now.