1. If there is a performance that is meant to be seen from a distance – something involving mass choreography, for example, or an image that can only be seen by pulling back from the source to get an overview – then there is no positive benefit to be gained by “close-up” shots and in fact such shots are actively detracting from the performance as designed. Directors, editors, and camera operators please take note.
2. If AI were worth anything they wouldn’t need to shove it down your throat every time they update anything even remotely digital, nor would they make it increasingly impossible to turn off. Nobody wants this shit. It’s useless, dangerous, resource-intensive, and hallucinatory, as are most of the people responsible for shoving it down our throats.
3. Every day it becomes more clear just how catastrophic a defeat the US has engineered for itself by going to war with Iran. This time next year this country is going to look very different, and that’s just what happens when a senile pedophile installs a cosplaying drunk as Secretary of WAAAAAARRRRRR and lets him play with toys he doesn’t understand.
4. No matter how many gloves you wear, slicing six pounds of jalapeños into half-centimeter-thick rounds is going to make your hands burn.
5. The fact that we can now talk to people across the world with crystal clear fidelity in real time for essentially free is one of the more underrated miracles of modern times.
6. This whole “waking up earlier as you get older” thing is really starting to be a drag if you ask me. Eventually I will turn into my grandparents. Not the grandparent who lived on a 12-hour day, the other ones. The ones who woke up at 4am and went to bed at 9pm. So far I’m getting up earlier but not going to sleep any earlier, which cannot be good in the long run. I suppose I’ll find out.
7. It has been gloriously autumnal here the last couple of days and I am here for it. Yesterday the high temperature was 65F/18C and today was more or less the same only overcast. I’m here for this.
8. Someday I will figure out how to make a Spotify playlist. Today is not that day. Tomorrow does not look good either. I thought I’d figured it out a while ago but since I go months without listening to music at all these days I no longer remember the process. I recall it was fairly straightforward and someday I’ll get back to it.
9. There was a time when music was a much bigger part of my life than it is now.
10. The good folks who run Our Little Town have been busily redoing what felt like every road in our neighborhood all summer, and now many of those projects have been drawing to a close. The roads are nicer, it has to be said. Although why they felt a need to punch a hole in one of those brand new roads less than a week after it was finished – especially since it sat half-completed for months – is a mystery.
4. I have found that using an electric slicer significantly enhances your torture pleasure for tasks such as this.
ReplyDelete5. Also, quite possibly, simultaneously, the bane of modern times. Perspective is everything …
6. Hate to be all gloomy and despondent here, but “Late to Bed, Early to Rise” isn’t even the most entertaining stage. Wait until you get to the “Sleeping in 2-hour Shifts” routine. Significantly more entertaining.
10. It is not a mystery. How else are they going to get a running start on the new potholes?
Random Experience from an Entirely Different Tired Mind:
Took my wife to the eye doctor for her six-month checkup yesterday. The good news is there are no significant changes. The bad news is that we got back into the car, I turned the key, and … nothing. Spent a half hour troubleshooting the problem- the battery is toast. Still seven days until payday. Looonnnnggg walk home, limited tools available.
It was a fight, but I managed to get the old battery out. I had to call and have our granddaughter-in-law take me up to Wally World to purchase a new battery. $171.84. We’ve got $13.84 in the checking account (at least the 84 cents cancel each other out!). Called our eldest daughter; she sent money via Apple Pay. I transferred the money to our checking account and bought the battery, then returned to the car and spent ½ hour installing the new battery. Total Elapsed Time: 3½ hours. Right now I’m sitting here trying to imagine what could have made it a more spectacularly entertaining afternoon, and failing miserably, if I am to be at all honest.
You may have noticed, at some point in the past, that I have a somewhat weirdly warped sense of what counts as “entertaining” — or I have somehow inverted the meaning of the word. Most likely the former.
Lucy
4. Unfortunately I don't have an electric slicer, nor a mandolin that I can set for thick enough slices. So hand-slicing it is, out in the back because otherwise the whole house smells like the morning after a riot. It's kind of relaxing in away, though the burning sensation in my hands leaves a lot to be desired.
ReplyDelete5. Yeah, the duality of things and so on. I got a call from my daughter who is out traveling at the moment, so I'll focus on the positive for now. When the incel Russian scammer in his mother's basement calls to tell me he needs access to my computer because it has a virus, then we'll look at the negative.
6. Lots to look forward to, huh? Sigh. I thought I was done with the 2-hours shifts when my kids learned to sleep through the night.
10. Efficiency!
--
That sounds like a very long day. I'm glad you got it resolved, though, and that Sue's checkup went well!
Entertainment is where we find it, I suppose. I'm hardly in a position to criticize, having found my weekend entertainment giving myself chemical burns chopping up garden produce. At this point we're all just living for the story.