1. The problem with working for a living is that you end up working a great deal because there is always another bill to pay and then you realize that there really isn’t much time left for anything else and there is a Sadness Unto the People.
2. Students need to understand that there are consequences to their actions, though pointing this out to them is not one of the things that makes teaching a rewarding profession when you get right down to it.
3. On the plus side, yesterday was Halloween and it was a nice, crisp fall day. Lauren and her friends decided that they were going to be Miss Frizzle and the entire crew of the Magic School bus, so they spent much of this past weekend putting together a bus and getting costumes assembled. It went pretty well, all things considered.
You could follow them by the cacophony. They had a very good time, though.
4. It was also Lauren's birthday, and now she is another year older. The Magic School Bus crew stayed over for dinner and a small bonfire in the portable firepit that we have, and a good time was had by all. Happy birthday, Lauren. I’m proud of you.
5. We spent several hours on the road last weekend to see the Small Liberal Arts College musical, with Tabitha on spotlight. They did a very nice job with it, and we got to have dinner with our college student daughter and a couple of her friends, so win all around.
6. The election is next week, and I am very much looking forward to not having to deal with the avalanche of right-wing trolls that has taken over social media and made me question the wisdom of not only the internet but of any form of communication more advanced than a quill pen and a sheet of parchment. Seriously – what do these people do all day when they don’t have the good people of the world to vomit nonsense upon?
7. So let me get this straight – we’re spending millions of dollars to send thousands of heavily armed troops to the border to protect us from unarmed women and children who are still a thousand miles and several weeks' travel south of us, and this is acceptable? Of course, nobody’s talking about der Sturmtrumper’s support of Saudi Arabian executioners anymore, or the fact that Robert Mueller’s investigation is turning the heat up enough that right-wingers are plotting to smear it with half-assed conspiracies, or the rapid slide of the United States into both Fascism and unprecedented fiscal irresponsibility, so perhaps it’s doing what the GOP wants after all.
8. I need a hobby. I need time to have a hobby. I don’t even read much these days. This must change.
9. I got thoroughly Warehoused on my Halloween candy this year. We usually get about a hundred kids at the door, so I bought two bags of candy and figured that was enough, except that a) we only got about half that many kids this year, and b) they were Big Mega Warehouse Store bags of candy, the kind that look like they contain a reasonable amount of product when you’re in the store but once you get them home you realize that you have entire burlap sacks full of the stuff. I think I’ve got candy through the next millennium. I will file this under Not Such Bad Problems To Have.
10. It’s tea weather, and I am gladly partaking thereof. One needs small comforts these days.