1. Yesterday was the last Local Youth Orchestra concert for Tabitha, as she heads off to college next year, and the first for Lauren, who joined this past spring. They did a really nice job – seven well played pieces, with Tabitha on viola and Lauren bouncing around from one percussion instrument to another as needs dictated. These are lovely times, sometimes.
2. Suddenly: August. It snowed here two weeks ago, but for much of this week it was in the mid-80s Fahrenheit, which is … um … really uncomfortable in Centigrade. I do not like this at all. As far as I am concerned it need never get above 63F (17C). And yet here we are.
3. I don’t like paying bills in May because that’s when the insurance comes due and it drains my bank account something fierce and I stare at the numbers with a Sad. Oh well.
4. I am slowly making progress on putting together a family tree, though there are plenty of things I don’t know and I’m pretty much conceding the idea of One Big Tree unless I can solve some fairly involved graphic design problems. There’s a reason I stick to words and not art, though.
5. It’s fun going on a binge for a particular author, because then you can follow all of the characters as they evolve over the various books – even the standalone novels, because they’re set in the same world and they refer back to each other. I read all of these when they came out, and I missed a lot of the references when there were months or years between books. If you are looking for a really good writer in the SF/F genre, you should read Joe Abercrombie. All at once.
6. My world is even more covered in paper than usual right now, which is partially due to the time of the semester and partially due to the fact that space is at a premium these days.
7. It’s been a long time since there was a blanket fort in my living room. They make ‘em bigger than they used to, you know.
8. I made a special trip to Home Campus today to listen to a lecture on linguistics given by a friend of mine, because that’s just how I roll.
9. Every now and then I think about how quickly the calendar is moving this year, in some ways, and then I try not to think about that again for a while.
10. There are so many good shows on television these days. Sometimes I wish I could sit through them.