1. I’ve been trying to find time to write an actual blog post for the last week, so far without much success. It’s not like there’s a paucity of things to write about. But it’s just that time of the semester when everything was due yesterday and I keep assigning more work to be graded because I am one of those idiot professors who actually wants my students to learn things and they won’t learn unless they do work. Which has to be graded. Oh well.
2. Why do holiday contests keep promising me that I can win “a flat-screen TV”? Does anyone even make non-flat-screen TVs anymore? It’s like advertising unleaded gasoline.
3. There are too many cats barging around my house at 4am and not enough cats sleeping quietly out of the way. It is amazing how “too many” can be as few as “one.”
4. Thanksgiving is now over. I can officially acknowledge the existence of Christmas. That doesn’t mean I am going to get my Christmas cards out before New Years or that I have all (read: “any”) of my gift-shopping done. It just means that I don’t cringe every time I hear a Christmas song on the radio.
5. It is a sad and stressful thing to be very far away from friends when they are sick.
6. There are very few figures in modern American history more fun to discuss with a class than Richard Nixon. For a combination of high drama, low comedy, real political skills and achievements, and outright threats to law, order and constitutional government, you just can’t beat him. He’s absolutely compelling, in a train-wreck sort of way.
7. I am almost three quarters of the way through my “Read All of the Discworld Books Again, In Order” project, and it has been so, so worth it.
8. I think I may have burned myself out on picture-taking for a while. Vacations will do that.
9.The future of higher education in Wisconsin looks grimmer every time Governor Teabagger (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Koch Industries) opens his mouth. It takes a genuine idiot to convert a university into a corporate apprenticeship program, and we’ve got just the guy in office to do it.
10. The “check engine” light lit up on my car the other day. I opened the hood and checked. The engine was still there. I don’t know why they bother to put those lights on the dashboard.